Sunday, October 9, 2011

...and more stuff

So, like my last post oh so long ago, I tried to make October into another "get rid of something every day" month.

And then someone broke into our house, stealing very little of monetary value but a lot of stuff of sentimental value. I'm mostly grateful that our dog was alright, because I don't know if he would have barked a lot or run away and hid, and a mean person could have seriously injured him (or worse).

In one way, the joke is on the thief (who I assume is male, since statistically that is more likely), because he will not get much from the pawn shop for what he stole. On the other hand, the jewelry that was stolen was important to me.

Some things were gifts (from people who have passed away), some were worn for special occasions (like my wedding), and some were souvenirs from trips and random places.

The property damage involved with getting into our house (two sets of double doors and two windows were damaged) far, far exceeded the amount stolen. We don't feel as secure in our house as we once did, and that eliminates one of the few things suburbs have in their favor.

All of that leads to the conclusion...we have to decide how we want to get out of Texas and how to part with some of our 'stuff'. This time next year we want to be back in a real city, not one that is still in the middle of suburban sprawl and with a "NIMBY" approach to change.

I'm calling the theft my "stuff to get rid of" for last week, and doubling down on paring down.

Grad school applications will be started this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment