Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Where did all this stuff come from?

When did I go from being a poor college student to someone with so much stuff? Over here at the squirrels' nest (ha), we own far too many things.

Somewhere along the way, after living separately for a while, moving in together, and getting married, we have gathered far more stuff than two people (and a dog) need. I also blame a couple of office-funded moves, when our stuff was packed quickly by strangers. Strangers will put everything you own into boxes, including your garbage (bleh). When you pack your things, whether all by your self or with the help of friends, you have to pause and touch and evaluate everything. One item at a time. And the longer you pack, the more likely you are to decide that things can be trashed, recycled, or donated.

So now we are here in San Antonio, with a house that is probably twice as big as we need and a yard that is 10 times bigger than we need. We know that this house is only a temporary stop for us. I like to move to new places, and see new things. I do not like living in the suburbs, where days and weeks seem to consist of an endless and anonymous stream of going to work and running errands.

I miss walking around my neighborhood and running into people I know. I miss meeting new people while walking around the neighborhood. I know that eventually we are going to move back to a smaller apartment or house in a proper city.

But then where will I put all of my stuff?

I spent April on a personal challenge -- every day of the month I added something to my "Donate" box. I didn't count anything that was technically trash or recycling, although I did clear out some old papers and cheap-o knick-knacks. At first it was easy. I just grabbed clothes that didn't really fit well or books that I knew I wouldn't read again. By the end of the month, though, I found myself tired of figuring out which things needed to go. After the "low-hanging fruit", I really had to think about the process. Since I usually tried to find my Thing To Get Rid Of (that's what I called it in my head) before I left for work in the morning, I was frequently running late.

Now, halfway through May, I think I might do it again next month. The main purpose is to make life easier while we live here (less clutter! easier to clean!). My secondary purpose is to make moving easier next time (fewer boxes! more organized!). I guess I should also admit that I'd be lying if I said that that tackling the personal challenge didn't motivate me as well.

Gah! How did I accumulate so much stuff?


1 comment:

  1. I completely understand. Now that I'm moving, I have to do the same thing. And you always have more than you think you do. I have a box or two from New Jersey that I've never opened. For me, the easiest place to start is by opening drawers I don't remember opening in a while and throwing everything in them away.

    ReplyDelete